I am a writer, editor, and content strategist specializing in technology and software development.
Currently I am Senior Technical Editor and editorial team leader at ContentLab.io, focused on creating high-quality, technical dev marketing materials to companies in the software development and IT services industry.
Past experience includes:
- Regular contributing author for the monthly Toolbox column at Visual Studio Magazine.
- Senior Technical Writer at ESPN, working on a number of Data & Platform Architecture projects, including the APIs and infrastructure behind the ESPN.com relauch and next-generation improvements to the (now sadly closed) public ESPN API.
- Director of Content Development at CodeProject.com. Among other projects I wrote and curated the Daily Insider, Mobile Development, and Web Development newsletters. I also started our A Coder Interview With… series of developer profiles and the CodeProject Advisory Board for Women in Technology.
- Senior Editor and Technical Editor at Microsoft, where I worked on developer education through Microsoft Systems Journal, MSDN Magazine, and TechNET Magazine, as well as end user and developer SDK documentation for Windows, the Windows Media platform, and DirectX.
Follow me on:
Some examples of my writing:
“CSS Basics: The Box Model, Margin, and Padding”, a CSS3 tutorial.
“Teaching Programming with Human Functions”, a blog post I wrote about my experience creating curriculum for and teaching programming to 4th grade students.
TapUtils is a set of somewhat command line utilities I wrote as a companion piece to an iOS application for capturing craft beer ratings. The app is gone now, but I took documenting the apps seriously in the readme file.
Web Page Size, Speed, and Performance, a book published by O’Reilly.
I also contributed to the Visual Studio Magazine “Toolbox” column for many years. Here are a few columns that were more “how-to” style content.
- “How To Simplify the Dreaded Task of Documentation Publishing with GitHub Pages”, an introduction to the tools I used to build and publish internal documentation using Markdown and GitHub at ESPN.
- “Automate All the Things: An AutoHotKey Primer for Developers”
- “Bash on Windows: Getting Productive with Windows Subsystem for Linux”